Monday, December 1, 2008

Nervous about chicken.

Aight, aight, aiiiiight, check it. So I'm going to the grocery store at about 1:30 in the am. As i pass through the doors into the crushing brightness, (that much fluorescent light can almost feel suffocating at times, high frequency whining, and an almost gelatinous sheet of protons laid over the senses), I happen upon a refrigerated display with various kinds of chicken in it. I stop to browse the selection, and before i make my descision, I find myself looking around to make sure that no white people see me doing this. Upon realizing that I was actually SNEAKING to buy chicken in order to prevent the perpetuation of any stereotype, I erupt into laughter. I started to think about black people, dressed in bad, "white person" costumes, (shitty face-paint and all), in basements, planning late-night shopping trips to buy watermelons, bbq ribs, pit-bulls, and hot-combs in bulk. It also made me think about the fact that sometimes, when i'm shopping late at night, I will wait for white women who are getting out of their cars at the the same time as me, to almost get into the store before I get out of my car because I don't want to scare them.......and because I dont want to get maced or kicked in the pills for telling them they dropped a glove or some shit...

3 comments:

IP said...

You are so funny. That was an awesome post and a great title. I do the same thing walking in stores, trying to make sure to only reach in my pockets out of arms reach of merchandise so they won't think I'm stealing. I sat in my car during a road trip eating chicken and thought, I hope no one sees me, I can just imagine what "they" would say.

IP said...

Ok, and how about when I turn down hip-hop music in my car and switch to something, anything else so people can't just assume they know my taste in music?

Good-Grace said...

I see why your sister is so proud of you. :) The magnificent writing styles must run in the family. :) Intelligence with wit. You can't get any better than that!!

Ah... those good ol' stereotypes.